Friday, May 28, 2010

Homemade Oreos



This is one of my husband's favorite treats that his sister makes. I had never tried them before he decided to surprise me one day by making them. Now i'm hooked. Simple, yummy and of course chocolate......3 of my requirements to a favorite desert!

Cookies:
1 pkg devil's food cake mix
2 eggs
3/4 cup margarine or shortening

mix well and roll into small balls. Place on cookie sheet as whole balls (do now smash down) bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before frosting or the frosting will melt all over.

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup  margarine
powder sugar (to taste)
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients. If frosting is still really runny put in fridge to firm up.

I was also given the tip to just buy a container or pre-made betty crocker cream cheese frosting instead of making frosting from scratch. I tried that and personally, I like the homemade taste better but both ways work great!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this one! I've always wanted to try them.. yum!

    ReplyDelete