Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Taquitos with Sweet Potatoes & Black Beans


Isn't that the yummiest thing you've ever seen? Mmmm.

Okay, so for the taquitos head on over to Our Best Bites, their recipe is fabulous.
Sometimes when I'm feeling super ambitious I make my own tortillas. This is the recipe I used (I usually half it though, the lady whose blog I got it from has 9 kids. This is her mother's recipe and her mother is from Mexico)

Tortillas


9 cups of flour
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of baking powder
1 cup shortening
3 1/2 to 4 cups warm water

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the shortening and knead until the mixture has a gritty texture. Add water a little at a time and knead dough until it forms a ball. Divide dough into small balls. With rolling pin, roll the dough balls into circles. The tortilla should be thin. Cook tortilla on the hot griddle (comal). Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes or until lightly brown.



She's an amazing woman. Click here for a link to her blog.

I just saw on Our Best Bites that they too have a tortilla recipe. Gonna have to try that one, they always give great cooking tips.

And now for my FAVORITE part... this part is my very own creation inspired by something I saw once.

Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans

2 giant Sweet Potatoes or Yams, peeled and diced
2 cans black beans
1/2 cup - 1 cup Green Salsa

Put diced Sweet Potatoes in a baking dish at 400 degrees for about an hour or until soft. Combine Sweet potatoes, black beans, and salsa in a pan and simmer for a few minutes.

Then serve it with your taquitos (or enchiladas or anything mexican), sour cream, and avocado.
I think it's my new favorite meal. The only problem with this recipe, is how much I eat when I make it. :)

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious! Too bad my hubby doesn't like sweet potatoes. I guess that is another plus for when he goes to training...I can make this!! :D

    ReplyDelete